468x60 Ads

Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Windmills in Bangui, Ilocos Norte

Sunset in Bangui
On the fourth day in Calayan happened to be my last day in the island. At 5 a.m. (May 20, 2014) I was fetched by Jomar who drove his tricycle to the shore where M/B Morning Star docks.  There is no port in Calayan Island.  Just before getting to lampitaw, I took some sunrise photos.
My shot of windmills just before the sunset
The boat left the shore at 6:45 a.m.  It was a 5-hour boat ride back to Claveria.  I had lunch first in a small restaurant and rested for about an hour just before proceeding to the bus station going to Laoag, Ilocos Norte.  I was advised by Ariel, someone I met from the homestay in Calayan to take Laoag going to Manila, if I wanted to see the windmills in Bangui.  He said that Bangui is just only an hour drive from Claveria.
Sunrise, my shot before the lampitaw left from Calayan to Claveria
I went to the bus station but it only seemed that the bus won’t leave immediately, and I asked the tricycle driver to take me to the place where vans are going to Laoag.  When I was at the van terminal I asked the driver to drop me off to the windmills in Bangui and he said that going to Bangui will take 1.5 hours.

It was around 3:30 p.m. when the van dropped me off in Bangui with my 2 heavy bags on my shoulder.  It was 2-kilometer walk to the shore from the main high way as the person who was in charge for the traffic told me.

Upon reaching the Bangui windmills, I took a snack in the restaurant and took some rests after a tiring walk from the main road.  I waited for the sunset so I could take some pictures of the windmills.

I left the windmills at 6:15 p.m. and just before that, the folks there said that the restaurants and souvenir stores will close at 6 p.m.  There’s no transportation that would take you back to the main road.  I asked for a favor to the one who operate the restaurant to take me to the main high way with their motorbike.  I was lucky enough for that favor and gave a tip to someone who drove me to the high way where the buses going to Manila pass by. 

Unfortunately the bus won’t stop till I waited long in the dark.  The traffic crew advised me to take Laoag.  I had to ride the bus going back to the main town of Bangui and the driver dropped me off to the checkpoint so that the police will stop and let me ride the bus.  I waited for the bus at the checkpoint where the police officer helped me and stop the bus taking me to Laoag City.

After 1.5 hours, the bus finally reached Laoag City.  I had some companies who are going back to Manila from Pagudpod and we took the Partas bus going to Manila at 10 p.m.

My Calayan adventure was finally over, taking me from the island to Laoag until I reached home.

Sameera Chathuranga

0 Responses So Far: